Monday, October 4, 2010

The wheels on the bus layout sections go 'round and 'round

Well, finished at last.

Over the weekend, I put horizontal rails in place, using 1 x 2 furring, to connect and stabilize the H-leg assemblies on each section. This was instead of doing cross braces between the assemblies (which the Jim Hediger plywood frame system calls for to be made from 1-1/4 x 1/4 inch moulding). I was very pleased with how that worked out. The rails will in turn support shelves to be put in at some time later.

Then I put casters on all 4 sections. After all my dithering about trying to create retractable caster assemblies of some kind, it was the simplest and easiest outcome. Now they all roll fairly easily. I've arrayed them as they would be set up when the layout is in operation, then rolled the two sections into the position they would be in when "stored."

There's still some stuff in the way in the basement room that needs to be cleared out of the way. Then I can FINALLY start planning out the track plan in full size.

I have one small concern -- one section seems about a quarter inch higher than the rest. Since I don't have levelers now I don't know how I'll deal with that. One option might be to remove the casters on that one unit, and put levelers back on it -- in which case I might use carriage bolts so I can extend them by several inches. Or I might simply smooth out the space between it and the other sections once I have the foam installed on the top surface in order to lay track.

But at long last I do have the benchwork finished. Now I can move on to my next task...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.