Saturday, October 16, 2010

Overthinking, Redux

I think I'm back to the notion of retractable casters.

I've been looking at the caster-mounted sections each day as I walk to and from my basement office. The more I think about the places they're uneven, the more I want to go back to using the screw-in levelers that I originally planned for.

In order to do that, I'd have to remove the casters from their current positions on the bottoms of the legs and instead make assemblies that would enable them to be retractable. I've been working out in my head how I'd do that, and I think I've got it pretty well figured out. The only investment I'd need would be some more 1/2-inch thick plywood (a 24-inch-square panel should do it) and 8 small hinges. I think I could use some of the leftover 1 x 2 furring that I have for another part of the assembly. And I'd re-use the casters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.