Thursday, August 26, 2010

We've got legs!



Well, it took about a week. But I now have 16 pairs of 42-inch-long, L-shaped, 1/2-inch plywood legs: 4 each for the 4 sections of my layout. Each board had to be sanded to remove rough spots, then they were glued and nailed into their current configuration. In order to make sure that the nails were consistent from one leg to the next, I created a simple jig for marking the nail holes.

The next step will be to attach 12-inch-long 2x2 blocks at the bottom of each leg, into which will be inserted T-nuts and screw-in levelers.

Then I will be assembling pairs of legs into H-shaped assemblies with cross braces, using glue, carriage bolts and locking nuts. The cross braces need to be cut to 22-1/2 inches long, and the holes will need to be drilled. I'm going to make a simple cardboard jig for marking the location of the holes. I've made a simple wooden jig to mark the location of the holes.

The leg system is basically the one shown in this video:



Two differences: I made the blocks at the base 1 foot rather than 8 inches. And I used framing nails (slightly larger) instead of trim nails -- mostly because that's what I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.