Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Update: Framing almost finished

Well, while it's taken a lot more time than I planned (thanks to intervening events like work, vacation, and chores around the house), I've gotten frames made for all 4 sections of the layout. Three of them still need the top boards of 1/4-inch plywood, and all 4 sections need legs. But we're making progress, however slowly. I hope to add pictures later.

For the legs I'm going to use a design I've seen a couple of places, including on the World's Greatest Hobby Madison Central: L-shaped legs of plywood, connected by a cross-beam to make an 'H'. They'll be attached with carriage bolts so they can be easily removed.

I've assumed I'd put screw-in levelers in the bottom of the legs, and I think I'll still go that way. But I'm wondering about casters. That's because I've also discovered that the fit in my basement room is going to be just a little tighter than I realized. I'm glad that I chose a sectional approach. The original point was simply to make it easier to move out in 5 or 10 years. Instead, though, I suspect I'll be taking it apart regularly to make it easier to move around the room. So casters -- or else levelers with bottoms that are easier to glide along the floor -- may be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.