Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Northern Wisconsin it is -- I think

In my last post, I was dithering about the setting for my railroad. As appealing as modeling the area around Mineral Point and Platteville sounds to me, I'm going to stick with my Northern Wisconsin logging and mining (iron, copper or both) concept. It's the logging -- I really do want to have something reflecting that on my layout, and after a lot of searching I can't find any evidence of serious timber harvesting in Southwest Wisconsin. Should I learn otherwise, the decision will be up for grabs again.

I've been working on names, too, assuming the UpNorth setting. I've just about decided it will be Nicolet & Wolf River Ry. Co. -- names of real geographic features in NE Wisconsin (the Nicolet National Forest and the, yes, Wolf River).

Principal locations on the layout, however, will have fictionalized names. And all of them will be personalized. I'll hold off on that information for now; one of them is still up in the air, for one thing. But I'm pleased with the other two.

Regarding the layout itself: The individual legs have all been completed with the addition of the 2x2 blocks in the base, including T-nuts and the levelers. Next step will be to pick up some carriage bolts, lock nuts, washers and wingnuts so I can make an H-assembly of each pair of legs and then install them on the frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.