Saturday, September 25, 2010

Belated discovery

Well, as I suspected, I really need to make at least 1, maybe 2, of my sections easily movable. That means casters. But I can't put casters on the bottom, because that will raise the height above the other sections. (And higher than I really want the lowest level to be.

I have seen a great solution here, but I don't know how to implement it. I hope that I can find more details on how it works.


Update:

Thinking a little more, I have another alternative design in mind:

A 2 x4 cross brace between the legs.

A piano hinge on the underside of the cross brace.

The other part of the hinge is attached to another 2 x 4.

When the hinge is folded in on itself, the 2 x 4 s are stacked one upon the other. The lower 2 x 4 has casters mounted on it.

To retract the casters, lift the table. Fold up the lower 2 x 4 (making the piano hinge wide open). Hook it into place somehow (old style door bolts? screen hook latches?). In this position, the casters point straight up.

To install, put the upper 2 x 4 across just high enough so that when the lower 2x4 with the casters is lowered, the wheels are perhaps 1 to 1-1/2 inches below the bottom of the feet.

Second update:

I think instead of positioning the hinge so it's folded up when the casters are down, I should position it so it's straight when the casters are down and folded when they are raised.

Bottom line, however: Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.