Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Route Ahead

(Image linked from Wikimedia Commons. Click here for image credit and other details.)

So here's what is next on the agenda:

1) Firm up the track plan, drawing at a scale of 1.5 inches to the foot.

I'll post something about my improvised approach to turnout templates for track planning, too. And along the way I will share the fictional tale of this North Woods Wisconsin enterprise.

2) Once the track plan is firmed up, build the three "floater" benchwork segments. I want to do that after the track planning because their exact dimensions are subject to change based on the needs of the plan itself.

3) Settle on two specific track selection questions. I have already chosen Micro Engineering Code 70 flex track for most of my track, with Micro Engineering Code 70 #6 turnouts as my turnouts of choice. But I expect I will want at least some curved turnouts, so for them I will need to decide between Shinohara Code 70 #6-1/2 curved turnouts or, perhaps, Peco Code 75 curved turnouts (not sure what size). I will be asking the proprietor of the train store I favor about which is the better choice. (For planning purposes, I'm using Shinohara 6-1/2 templates, on the theory that that is "close enough for rock-n-roll" and that I will be doing a 1:1 scale sketch of the track on the base before laying any down, so that I can make adjustments accordingly.)

The other track selection question is whether I will want to deploy any turnouts that are sharper than #6, which appears to be the only size ME makes. My inclination is to stick with #6, but to give myself "permission" to opt for the tighter turnouts if absolutely necessary. If I do, I'm leaning toward Shinohara Code 70 #5 or #4-1/2. I don't know if I will need to use any wye turnouts, but if so, Shinohara Code 70 again probably gets the nod. In each of these instances, though, I will give the Peco Code 75 a look as well.

4) Purchase and install extruded styrene insulation board for subroadbed. For the tabletop level, I will use 2-inch sheets. For grades, I will probably use the Woodland Scenics risers combined with the insulation board material. And for the upper level subroadbed, I expect to use 1/4-inch luan (which is what the base level table tops are) topped with, probably, the 1-inch insulation board (but possibly the 2-inch), and supported by layers of the insulation board in appropriate thicknesses. Once the tabletop level insulation board is in place, I will then draw out the bottom level trackage. As you'll see when I post the final track plan, the design allows for continuous running early on with a full circuit of track before I have to build any of the elevated track.

5) Decide, once and for all, how to power the thing. I only know DC, I have little in the way of equipment, I am intimidated by the cost of DCC add-ons, but I know deep down that DCC is almost certainly the way to go for the long term.

So, follow along as the story unfolds. Comments (so long as they're respectful and constructive) are welcome. So is advice, which I will consider and then either take, or not take, as I choose -- so if I choose not to follow it, don't take it personally!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.