Sunday, June 13, 2010

We've got wood

Finally made that trip to Home Despot today and purchases all of the framing lumber for my layout.

I'm using a slightly different approach than I last wrote about here, thanks to advice from my friend Keith. I'm still using ripped plywood instead of dimensional lumber. The siderails will be just 1/4 inch thick plywood. Cross joists will be 3/4 inch plywood, nailed and glued to the siderails. This is the same system Keith and a group of N-scale modelers use for a system of modules they're making. The frame is then topped with a 1/4 plywood slab. On top of that (and this is different from the aforementioned module system) will be 2-inch-thick insulation foam -- in this aspect, adapted from MR's Beer Line layout approach.

I got a lot of the lumber ripped at Home Despot, but for final trimming, I'm turning to a friend who has a radial arm saw and a table saw to get pieces to their final, finished size. That happens this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.