Monday, May 3, 2010

A follow-up note on track

A little further investigation led me to the Micro Engineering product line of track. Based on Walthers' prices, it's about $1.80-$1.90 a foot or so. A lot cheaper than Shinohara's $2.33/foot.

On the other hand, CV tie strip is $.84/foot, and they sell rail to go with it at $.25/foot. So that's $1.09/foot altogether, just 60 percent -- or less -- of Micro Engineering's product. (If I buy ME rail, it's $.60/foot, for a total of $1.44/foot for the CV handlaid.)

I'm just not sure whether I'm up to the additional challenge of hand laying, although the CV tie strip does seem to be a lot easier than the old spike-it-yourself approach.

Well, I do have time to sort that out. CV sells a sample pack, and I am likely to try that out. I might do it on a separate board (my friend Keith has a "posing board" he takes outside and gets amazing pictures with). Meanwhile, I'll use the Shinohara track I already have mostly in hidden areas, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated retroactively. Spam will be derailed. Spammers will be tied to the tracks in front of the next oncoming freight train.